Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Time to take time to catch up...

It's been awhile since to took time to update my blogs as I've been so busy working at fixing up my home, inside and out. I am also now a member of the Board of Trusties for the Okanagan Centre for Positive Living, and taking over the position of Treasurure, so have been very busy with this too. So now I'm going to play a game of Catch Up here before I forget what all has been accomplished in my yard.

On Pathway to Freedom E-Neighborhood I was asked about my chickens. They are very much a part of my life, my home, and my yard, so I have decided to share some pictures of them here.

My first chicken was Rooster Cogburn. I was at the auction one day when they couldn't get any bids on this beautiful Bantam rooster, and the auctioneer said "A buck. Won't anyone take it for a buck?" So for one dollar he came home with me. At that time I was raising Netherland Dwarf show rabbits so had a shed where they lived, that was where Rooster Cogburn moved into. He was such a pet it was incredible, following me around the yard and when I was working with the rabbits he would do his best to get between me and the one I was working with, or sometimes sit on my shoulder while I worked. One day at the auction again, I bought him a present... 2 Bantam hens, one with a chick that also turned out to be female. After that he wanted nothing to do with me (tipical man, give him what he wants and that's the end...lol). From them I have had many chickens. One day Rooster Cogburn went missing, I was free ranging them at the time and I think a neighbor dog got him. There were 3 young roosters here at the time, that year's baby boys, so I decided to keep one of them. The one that got biggest and most dominant got to stay. He was the boss and wouldn't share his hens, so his name was Boss Hogg.

Boss Hogg was here for a few years, then last year out of all the eggs the hens sat on (and Bantam hens sit on eggs at the drop of a feather, lol) only 3 chicks were hatched. I decided that Boss Hogg must be getting too old to do the job, must be "shooting blanks", so I kept the one boy of that 3. This spring I took Boss Hogg and 5 of his hens to the auction. The hens were ones that kept flying over the fence and wandering to the neighbors that gets very upset and aggressive when my chickens step foot on his property.

So my current rooster is Young'n. I am sad to say that Young'n also is shooting more blanks that he should be, or there's some other problem, because the eggs are not fertile. There have been 6 or 7 hens sitting on eggs this spring and only 2 chicks have been hatched. Chicklette hatched out one that has since disappeared :o( and Dot hatched one. More about that one wee chick later... for now we have pictures for you to look at. Pictures not only of the Bantams but also of the 6 chicks I bought at the auction the same day I sold Boss Hogg and the girls. On the box they were in it said: 6 Americana X Sex Link Layers - Unsexed - Hatched March 10 (I've looked on the internet for info on Sex Link Layers and have found not even a hint that this is even a breed)

No comments: