Thursday, May 18, 2006

Friday, May 5th

I hitched up my utility trailer behind my truck and went to the local plywood plant where I shovelled, and shovelled, and shovelled. I was going to fill the trailer with wood chips, but then remembered Dan's comments on my tendency to over load the trailer, and decided to stop at about 3/4 full.

After unhooking the trailer in my yard I went to the nursery/store across the lake from where I live, and started spending :o) For my birthday, Mom gave me a $50 gift certificate for this place, thinking I'd buy groceries with it, but I saved it to buy plants. (Buy $50 worth of groceries, eat for a week. Buy plants to grow food, eat year after year.)

I bought:
2 Blueberry plants (was told you have to have 2 of different varieties for best production)
1 pkg. of 2 Fall Gold Raspberry plants (they'll go nice with my red and black raspberries)
2 Musk Mellon seedlings (basically the same as Cantalope)
2 herb plants: Stevia and Golden Balm
Then I broke down and bought some "eye candy":
5 Pansy plants
2 Merrygold plants
You have to have acidic soil for Blueberries, and acidic soil is best for the Hydrangias I bought, so I also picked up some sulfur to work into the soil (the guy at the nursery said the soil in this area is all alkaline, so no point in testing it, just get the sulfur).
Out of the $50 I still have $8.95 left to spend on something else when they get new stuff in (and when I get everything planted that I have accumulted already).

Non-yard related: I just have to "crow". I also made my first batch of homemade yogurt with recipe and instructions from PTF... and it is GREAT! I don't like storebought plain yogurt, but this homemade stuff is really good, and I can also add fruit or whatever to it (can you say chocolate yogurt?)

No comments: