Thursday, May 18, 2006

Stump

On May 6 I went out to feed the chickens and heard a very distressed peeping, tracked it down and found Dot's chick. It had a very badly broken leg, was in shock and dehydrated. I knew it didn't have much of a chance, but brought it in the house to try to save it's life. A closer look at the leg showed there was no way it could be fixed, so I had to amputate the foot. I was relieved that there was no bleeding when I did that, though there was some later on, but not very much. This would have added to the dehydration problem. Also a good sign was when the chick drank water I held to it's beak in a jar lid. I named this baby Stump.

That day I had to go out to a friend's "last ride". He had always ridden motorcycles and loved to stop for pie, so 18 bikes and several cars took Gil on a last ride, his ashes on the lead bike, to his final resting place where he loved to go when alive, a view point over looking Otter Lake. Afterwards everyone went to O'Keefe Historical Ranch, another place Gil liked, and ate pie.

I felt I had to get fluids into Stump as much and as often as possible, s/he was willing to drink but only took tiny bits at a time. Soooo... I took Stump along on that last ride. It was a cold and windy day, but I kept Stump warm and gave frequent drinks of whey (the liquid off yogurt) I was told that whey has lots of nutrition, so figured it was a good fluid to use in this case.

I kept Stump in the house under a light bulb to keep him/her warm ever since, until yesterday, May 16. I decided that it would be better for Stump to be with Dot if at all possible. I will keep a close eye on them and make sure the other chickens aren't picking on the disabled chick. Even after 10 days apart, Dot was happy to accept Stump back. She is still sitting on the nest of what can only be rotten, non-fertile eggs, hoping to hatch out more babies.

I will upload pictures of Stump taken May 6, and hope the upload works properly today.

1 comment:

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

I had some problems uploading my pictures, so am doing it a different way now. I have had to republish many things to get them all back in order and properly uploaded, and some of what had to be deleted already had comments. I am doing a "cut and paste" so as not to loose them.


kiwi said...

Alice, hope you don't mind some advice....All the hen's eggs should hatch within 24 hours (I leave them a little longer to be sure), so after that time you should remove any unhatched eggs from under the hen. They will not be fertile or will have died in the hatching. That way the mother hen can get on with concentrating on raising her live chicks and getting some of her strength back after the 21 days of sitting on the eggs.
(Hold your breath and toss the unopened eggs FAR away as they will stink!!)
Hope this helps :>)

10:28 PM


Alice said...

Thanks Kiwi... I'll chuck those eggs tomorrow then. There's another hen too that has been sitting longer than she should with no hatchlings to show for it... but she's outside the house where I can see her but can't get to her without risking much back pain and problems. But I will give it a try in a day or two when I can fit it in to a very busy schedule. :o)

11:41 PM