Tuesday, May 02, 2006


#81 These are Pumpkins (Small Sweet) and Squash (Buttercup) that I started in the house some weeks back. They got so big that I wanted them out of the little pots, but it's too early to plant them in the ground. Yesterday I transplanted them into these large pots and put them beside the house with plastic over them to protect them from potential frost. This morning I took this picture and watered the plants, now this afternoon they are standing up and looking much better than the wilted things in this picture. When I am sure it's safe to plant them out I plan to give some away (I don't need this many) and plant the rest in the orchard at the base of some trees they can grow up. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Wildside Musing said...

Hi Alice! Looking good!

So far no sign of my buttercup squash, but I got lots of starts from a pumpkin that rotted -- and some are surviving still...

Will your pumpkins get enough sun at the base of trees? It will be interesting to see how that goes!

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Someone else asked me that too, Wildside, and that is a good point. May have to put them elsewhere... lol.