Wednesday, May 17, 2006







Mmmmm... nice fresh picked grass to eat








This is Chicklette. One day 2 or 3 years ago now, one of my hens disappeared leaving behind 3 wee chicks, only days old. I brought them into the house and raised them in a cage with a lightbulb to keep them warm. When they were big enough I put them out with the other chickens (or chooks as they say in New Zealand... I like the sound of that... chooks). In no time, 2 of them disappeared, but Chicklette is still here. She is one of my favorites, and likes to be near me, sometimes to be held and petted.






6 Americana cross chicks, hatched March 10, 2006... picture taken May 2.













Enjoying a bite of grass on a sunny spring day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chicklette is so pretty! I'd love a black & white hen.
HA! CHOOKS! You are doing well with your Kiwi-speak lessons girl! (You're pronouncing it like book...right?)
Good head start with your accent for when you visit New Zealand! :>)

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Is there any other way to pronounce it? I'm saving up for my trip... found a pop bottle the other day... that'll put 5 cents into my NZ Trip fund. LOL.

Yes, I agree, Chicklette is pretty. So is Dot. She's white with black. I'll get you a pic of her if she ever comes out of the nest.

Anonymous said...

Well I'd have thought there was only one way to pronounce it too!!....but I recently worked with a Scottish doctor who somehow managed to pronounce it choooooook (like chew....k!)
Good start with the 5c! That'd be worth about NZ10c. HEY! Maybe you'll dig up some valuable treasure in your yard!

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Well, the Scots definately do have their own way of pronouncing things... lol. (I love accents and when with someone that has one I tend to soon pick it up. When I come to NZ it won't be long and I'll be talking just like a kiwi).

You got me curious, so I went to an online currancy converter and checked it out.
Live mid-market rates as of: Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 9:10:16 PM EST
.05 CAD = 0.0717 NZD
Canadian Dollar 1 CAD = 1.434 NZD
New Zealand Dollar 1 NZD = 1.1195 CAD
Gee, it's nice to know our money is worth something somewhere, haha. I remember when the Canadian dollar was worth more than the US dollar, but for many years now we've been way below them... now we have come up (or have they gone down?) to where the CND is only a few cents less than the USD.

So far I've dug up lots of rocks... but not the kind that's worth anything, but hey, we can always hope.

Maybe if I make enough people really mad they'll take up a collection to send me away :o) halfway around the world to NZ!!

Wildside Musing said...

Really enjoying your chicken -- er, excuse me -- chook photos, Alice!