Wednesday, June 07, 2006

More little bits

June 5th: I loaded the trailer again... this time with wood scraps, branches from walnut and plum trees, and thorny wild rose branches. Now it just has to be tied down and hauled off to the dump. Too bad the Regional District would fine me if I burned these things here. You have to have 1 hectare of land (2.47 acres) to be aloud to burn yard waste like this and I only have .38 acre.

Being late evening and the chooks "in bed" so wouldn't be an escape issue, I took the wheelbarrow into the chook house and filled it with "matter" from the floor. This consists of dirt mixed with old rabbit manure from when this was my rabbitry and chicken manure. This is sitting in the yard waiting to be used in the yard or put into the compost.

June 6th: Where the branches and such had been there was bare ground... no grass or weeds could grow here I guess... and bare ground here is uncommon, so I take advantage where I can. I planted some "previously sprouted" ornamental corn here. I took the kernals off a couple ornamental cobs I'd bought one year and put them into dishes of wet paper towels... 2 different types of corn so keeping them separate. I still have more to plant, but it was getting too hot to work in the sun. We've had a lot of cool, rainy days lately... today wasn't one of them.

I laid down with a book and fell asleep this afternoon. While I was asleep I missed another visit from Helen and Bob... bummer, I like visiting with them. I can tell they were here as there are a bunch of plants outside waiting for me to plant, and some egg shells for me to feed to the chickens. Helen had said they'd bring them by.

Also today I got 1 of 2 Lovage plants into the ground. I planted this in the herb garden but don't want to plant the other Lovage or the Horseradish here as they get really big and this area is not condusive to that. I'll plant those in a different area.

No comments: