Monday, April 03, 2006

1st Progress Report

I've been getting a few things done so haven't had time to post here. My utility trailer is now licenced and insured for a year, so I can start hauling stuff to the dump. It is now hooked up to the truck, load tarped and tied down, all ready to go to the dump except that while the trailer has sat in the yard for about a year and a half, the tires have lost a lot of air. One is noticably low, the other even worse. My good friend Dan has a compressor and will bring it by tomorrow to air up the tires so I can hit the road. I would have been off to the dump today had the tires been okay, but will have to wait for the compressor now, not a big deal.

I recently went "shopping" in a friend's yard. I came home with 4 banana boxes of perennial plants, most flowers but also some herbs and Jerusalem Artichokes. As soon as I have a place prepared for strawberries I can go back and get 2 different kinds of strawberry plants. This is awesome and I am so grateful!

Along my driveway I dug up a bunch of ground, removing as many roots and such as possible. I also worked some aged rabbit manure into this area and put walkways in so I can get in to work the areas. I planted all the non-edible perennials mentioned above into this area and still have to prepare an herb garden and strawberry garden elsewhere in the yard.

Today when Dan was over and helped me hook up the utility trailer so I could pull it out and get it ready to go, he raked where it had been sitting and put some patio slabs down there. He had given me the slabs last fall, taken from his yard, and they hadn't yet been used here. Now they give a nice look along the spreading junipers, and give a place to put the trash cans. Dan also did some raking by the junipers as they go down the driveway, then I raked the driveway where I threw all the roots and weeds as I dug them out of the flower bed.

No comments: