Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Earth Day 2006

Saturday, April 22, 2006 was Earth Day. What did you do that day? I drove to town to pick up a friend, Ron, who had said several times that he would help me do work around my yard. I finally decided to take him up on it.

There are so many things that need doing here that it was a bit of a challenge to decide where we would start, but I decided that working on a raised bed garden would be a good thing. This led us to do many things.

* Cut back spreading Junipers to make a pathway into the back yard
* Moved a bunch of wood, broken window, etc, then level out a heap of dirt left by the Bobcat when it last dug up the septic line
* Carried some landscape ties up from the orchard where they were stacked when I brought them home recently
* Laid down some cardboard to be a weed barrier
* Realized we need a saw which we don't have to cut the landscape ties, so the raised bed garden will have to wait
* Moved a heap of weeds I'd pulled and stacked up
* Made a small, narrow garden along the house
* Transplanted some day lilies and iris plants I'd dug up previously
* Planted strawberries given to me by "my invisible friend"
* Watered everything

I think that about covers it... whew! My back was some sore, and Ron looked at me rather strangely when I was barely able to walk.

Ron and I ate supper (homemade bean soup, whole wheat spaghetti with veggie sauce, garlic bread), then watched a movie and drank some tea. Then I drove him home. Ron said he will be happy to come back another time and help again as it gives him something to do on a day off.

No comments: