Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Main Theme

I guess by now you've caught on to the main theme of my property... I live on a hill only fit for goats. The driveway is real "fun" in the winter so not many people come visit during that time of year. Mowing the grass is a definate challenge, or at least was when I used to try keeping up with it. If I could I think I'd have it paved and painted green, then just have a few potted plants here and there, haha. Next best thing would obviously be to fence it all and have 1 or 2 goats or sheep here to keep the weeds and such eaten down. If I had sheep and someone to sheer it/them for me, I'd definately enjoy spinning the fleece, and if it was goats my first choice would be angora so it/they too could be sheered and spun into yarn. And then again, there's always horses. "A fence, a fence, my Queendom for a fence." Oh, but without my Queendom, I'd have no need of the fence.

I posted to Freecycle that I need fence posts and one man was good enough to email me that he has around 15, give or take a few, that I can have. Tomorrow (umm, errr, later today, it's after midnight here) I will pick them up and bring them home. That is a good start on what I'll need in order to fence the whole place... guess one thing I should do is measure the area and figure out the total number of posts I do need. If you are wondering what Freecycle is, or if you want to give away or get "stuff" all for free, check it out, there's one in your area too... www.freecycle.org

3 comments:

Wildside Musing said...

That's great news about the fence posts!

Have you heard of old breeds of sheep that don't need to be shorn? (From the Viking age; the Vikings used to weave sails for their ships out of the wool!) Instead you roo them (pluck the wool) for spinning and weaving. One kind is Soay (wilder breed) and for the moment I've forgotten the other kind I've seen (but it's a more purposeful breed). Both are beautiful. May be sometime I'll find and post the links again to farms that are raising them...

At some future date I'd like to post a link from my blog to yours. I hope to keep a close eye on your ongoing progress (and do plan to be inspired!).

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

What a great idea! Sheep I can pluck would save getting someone to sheer, and also save having to sort the fleece later because you'd sort it as you pluck it. I can see lots of benefits to this.

Another possibility would be to "borrow" a sheep from someone just to have it keep things eaten down around here but not have to feed it/them in winter.

You are more than welcome to post the link from your blog to mine. I must take the time to come visit your blog, I'm sure it is very interesting. I'm currently working at updating my other blog too, so will have to give you that link so you can check out my "fibre side".

clairesgarden said...

I must just have followed Wildside here. wow, you live in an amazing place. there is a book called 'Designing and maintaining your edible landscape' by Robert Kourick, that shows how to terrace your steep sides and be productive with vegetables and decorative gardening, it is organic and permaculture based and is good reference book.